Blood Sugar Woes

Posted by Rishara Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My blood sugar has been acting like a Mexican jumping bean the last few days.  Yesterday, I tried another Eades' shake with nothing but the whey protein powder, ice, water and cream.  Once again, my blood sugar skyrocketed after consumption.  It stayed high for 2 hours then dropped drastically the next hour and was back to 95 before lunch.  It stayed fairly level until just before bedtime and jumped up to 130.  This morning, it was back up to 176!  It's steadily declined throughout the day and was 110 before dinner.

In addition to the blood sugar spikes, my weight went up 3 lbs yesterday then down 5 lbs this morning.  Neither day is an official weigh-in, but I just can't help myself (I know, I need to smack myself for the bad daily weighing habit).

I have no idea why the BS is acting quite so freakish.  I also cannot figure out why I'm reacting to the protein powder like I am, but it's obvious I must be super sensitive to either Whey or the protein powder I'm using flat out lies about the carb content (it claims 100% natural, 1 carb per scoop, no sugar, yada yada).  Today, I purchased some 100% pure egg white protein powder (it is the ONLY ingredient listed), so I will try another shake in the morning using that to see what happens. 

Meanwhile, I've been reading Dr. Bernstein's book a bit.  If the egg protein powder does not work for me, I'm going to switch to Bernstein's plan (which is pretty similar to what I've been doing anyway with somewhat less focus on fat and more on protein). 

As usual, I will keep everyone updated on my results and progress.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Weight Loss Progress

Week 24: 23 lbs total
Week 23: 23 lbs total
Weeks 1-22 (2009): 23 lbs total

About Me

I'm a software developer by day and an avid computer gamer by night. I'm also a woman rapidly approaching middle-age with diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos). I'm embarking on a lowcarb lifestyle in an effort to become healthy and live past middle-age and well into old-age.